Re: [Mgs] Needed - crankshaft for '52 MGTD MK II

To: Mowog1@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Needed - crankshaft for '52 MGTD MK II
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 10:22:52 -0500
 Rick,
   Crankshafts for these engines are pretty scarce.  They are prone to
breakage at #1 and #4 rod journals, thought to be from a combination of
metal technology of the time and too-tight radius of the curve.  The MGB
crank is tough; TD cranks are brittle.
   When I found mine cracked about ten years ago,  Ed Kaler (Just Brits)
said that cranks could be welded good as new.  Nobody else subscribed to
that belief, though he has been in the MG biz for many years.  Everyone
else suggested a new crank, which Moss was making then.  I believe they
are still in Moss catalogue.
   Reworking the crank by grinding it undersize exacerbates the initial
problems, that of being small at the journals, and the tight radius of
journal to crank throw.  Kaler was the only one I've ever talked with who
thought that a crack could be mended. All other opinions were that if it
had cracked before it would shatter after being reworked.
   The new Moss crank, though made in the orient, was inspected by a
couple of my tech/engineer friends who pronounced it a far better piece
of metal and machining than the original TD crank.
Bob