[Mgs] Overdrive Noise/Shifting Problem

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Mgs] Overdrive Noise/Shifting Problem
From: "Valda and Merl Rosenthal" <mvrose@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 17:49:29 -0800
I have an overdrive transmission on my 1980 MGB and when it is in neutral and
the engine is running it produces a "roaring" noise.  The noise appears to be
coming from the front bearing on the transmission shaft. I do not believe it
is coming from the throw out bearing because I installed a new throw out
bearing and clutch approximately 2,400 miles ago when I did a complete
restoration(towed the car home because it had not run for 14 years).  In
addition, when I down shift from 3rd to 2nd and if you do not shift just right
it scraps reverse gear. Has anybody experienced these problems?  I am in the
process of removing the engine and will go thought the transmission at this
time. Any advise would be appreciated.

Merl Rosenthal
1980 MGB