Re: [Mgs] Overdrive Noise/Shifting Problem

To: "Valda and Merl Rosenthal" <mvrose@charter.net>, "MG List"
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Overdrive Noise/Shifting Problem
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 15:24:19 -0000
A throw-out bearing is more likely to be noisy when you push on the clutch
pedal, especially if the noise is still there if you pull back on the clutch
release arm to push the slave piston further into its bore (watch the clutch
master doesn't overflow).  Unfortunately you can't eliminate something just
because it is relatively new, replacement parts are very unlikely to be as
good as the originals, sadly.  'Scraps' reverse or 'scrapes' - there is a
difference?  There is only a spring-loaded detent limiting entry across the
horizontal neutral position into the reverse up/down position, it is quite
easily defeated if you change down with gusto, but then you have to back out
of that part of neutral to the 1/2 vertical position before you can select
2nd.  If you are saying reverse grinds as you are selecting 2nd, that sounds
more like major problems inside the gearbox/selectors.  But how do you know
it is reverse that is scraping, and not simply 2nd grinding because of
defective synchro?

PaulH.