Re: [Mgs] Miata Question

To: saidel@camden.rutgers.edu
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Miata Question
From: Paul Root <ptrmgb@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 10:45:43 -0600
On Feb 23, 2008, at 9:22 AM, saidel@camden.rutgers.edu wrote:

> Quoting Wilkmanracing@aol.com:

>> whythey bother buying this car >>>>>(same with the  BMW Z-series
>> cars) if
>> theydon't really enjoy the wind in their hair!
>>
>> I understand what you're saying.  I, too, prefer to drive top down
>> and  I
>> tend to scowl at those who seem never to have the top down.  But
>> there is  a
>> matter of reality that needs to be considered.  The tops on our
>> British  classics
>> are a royal pain in the ass to put up and down.
>
> Do you include the B's in British classics? I timed myself...<15
> seconds to lower the top of my 76B (for the few times I drive with it
> up, that is. I always have thought...why have this car if the top is
> up?). That is not a royal p.i.t.a. On the other hand, crawling around
> under my 74 on a cold garage floor is. Besides...I don't fit anymore.
>
> Bill Saidel

Yeah, I do. In comparison to an MGA or TC/TD/TF, the MGB top is a
breeze. But
compare it to a TR7, Fiat Spider, Alfa Spider, Miata, Z3, Z4, TT,
etc., it's a pain.

The first gen Miata, is zip out the rear window, flip two levers and
lower. It can be done
sitting down. The window can be futzy, but it can be done. Try that in
the B and your
quarter windows will be cracked in a season.

Paul Root
ptrmgb@gmail.com
'77 MGB
'99 OBS