Re: [Mgs] OT Australia Eight hours day

To: MGs List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] OT Australia Eight hours day
From: Eric Erickson <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 13:48:17 +1030
On 11/03/2008, at 12:04 PM, Larry Daniels wrote:

> I had a race back in the early 90's where the track temp was 135 F;
> I don't
> recall the air temp.  I was driving a formula style car which is like
> sliding into a cigar tube.  The car was black and the firesuit is like
> wearing a snowmobile suit -- hot as hell.  I remember the last lap
> as being
> a question of wondering if I could last without passing out.
> Scared the
> heck out of me.

The track temperatures were over 100F for  our last race (the weekend
before last) and I was wondering which would expire first, my car
(with its freshly re-built engine running hot) or me.  Running with
no roof, black race-suit and black helmet.

With the last third of a lap to go she let go a whole lot of coolant
which overflowed the expansion tank.  The expansion tank is just
behind the grill and that meant the wind caught the overflowing
coolant and blew it up along the bonnet.

Scare heck out of me to suddenly have the passenger side of the
windscreen covered in coolant.

The car survived and so did I.

No to properly tune the new engine and do something serious to the
cooling system.

Hopefully that will be the last really hot day at the track for a
while.  And now you know why we race in Winter!

Eric

PS I love my ISP for giving us free wireless Internet access at the
airport (oh yeah, and for sponsoring my car)!  Now, when do we
board... I am getting impatient.