Re: [Mgs] MGB rear axle nut

To: "Rick Lindsay" <rolindsay@yahoo.com>, "MGS" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] MGB rear axle nut
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 08:51:28 +0100
1 5/16", for the Salisbury axle half-shaft nut.  My standard 1/2" drive
non-impact socket is 1.73" outside diameter, the ID of my hub is 1.863" and
another reports that his hub is 1.867" so a socket of that size should fit any
hub.  3/4" drive or impact sockets may be too big.  OD is only an issue for
wire-wheel hubs, of course.

They can be very tight, one on the roadster needed a 5 ft breaker bar.  If
Rostyle remove the centre cap, in both cases fit the wheel back on the hub
(without spinner in the case of wires) and lower the tyre onto the ground.
You should then only need a breaker bar of the required length to shift it if
you don't have an impact gun.

PaulH.