Re: [Mgs] 1974 MGB fuel gauge problem

To: wkilleffer@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] 1974 MGB fuel gauge problem
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 10:01:01 -0400
Bill,
  There is the possibility, actually not so rare around CT these days,
that someone who feels you have excess petrol in your tank is
transferring it to his tank.
   Another possibility is that the float on the tank's sending unit
leaking and getting heavy, though that would not explain initial
satisfactory operation followed by dropping to E.
   Try cleaning each of the connectors in the system. The problem could
be something that simple.
Bob

On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 15:35:34 +0000 wkilleffer@comcast.net writes:
> Hey Everyone,
>
> A couple of years ago, I noticed that the temp gauge and fuel gauge
> on my 1974 MGB were reading quite high. Temp gauge was pegging the
> H, and the fuel gauge couldn't be trusted. I learned about the
> voltage stabilizer behind the dashboard, and discovered that it had
> been bypassed. I hooked the gauges up to it, and they worked
> properly. Both seemed reasonably accurate.
>
> Now, over the past couple of months, the fuel gauge has developed
> some kind of fault. Most of the time, the needle barely moves away
> from the E. It moves just enough to show that it's responding to
> electrical input, but no more. Now that the weather is getting
> hotter, I've noticed something odd. The fuel gauge will start
> working and give what appears to be an accurate reading. I reset the
> trip odo every time I fill the tank, so based on that mileage, the
> gauge is true. It will work for a few minutes, then it will go back
> down to near E.
>
> I replaced the sending unit in the tank about 7 years ago. The temp
> gauge never has a problem.
>
> Also, this doesn't happen every day.
>
> What are some possible fuel gauge faults that could cause this?
>
> Thank you,
> -Bill
Recharge and relax.  Click for great vacation ideas.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/Ioyw6i3nMAatkhP94Tb9OaV6s66nu3ukFHSFRQ2cHXJur6IJvfHcQd/