Re: [Mgs] Electric MGB

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Electric MGB
From: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 16:13:54 -0700
Someone around here has an electric Midget, converted over 10 years ago, I
think. Saved a lot of gas in that interim, I imagine. Zero trunk space, of
course.

This article made a good point about real-world performance. The electric
hot-rods like the Tesla get all the publicity, but a steel-bodied car
converted from gas with typical lead-acid batteries is going to perform like
"a 4-cylinder carrying 1600 lbs of batteries". Which is why that guy is
stripping everything off his MGB. Foolish, I think. Nobody is going to be
happy driving a totally stripped down vehicle except a few Lotus 7 types.
Better in the long term to shell out for the lithium batteries, and have a
better-performing car with adequate range that you could actually drive
everyday.

Then again, the range argument against electric cars is overrated. The
average American commute is less than 42 miles round trip. Almost all
electrics get that much. And for the foreseeable future, you would still
need a refuelable vehicle for long trips -- even 200 miles doesn't get you
very far in the American west, and you aren't going to want to stop for 8
hours to recharge after every leg.

While a $20K conversion may sound expensive, it's a lot cheaper than a new
Prius, and the MPG is infinite.

Just so long as they don't convert all the LBCs...

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149