Re: [Mgs] MG 1100 questions

To: "Councill, David" <dcouncill@msubillings.edu>, "MGS" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] MG 1100 questions
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 10:43:43 -0700
David:

The MG 1100 is a pretty neat car but it's very hard to assign a value to
one. There is a very limited market, so it's more a question of how
badly your son wants the car. Whatever he pays for it, it's unlikely
that after fixing it up the investment could be recouped.

With this kind of car, you want to find the best one you can and pay the
least possible. Then enjoy the heck out of it and don't worry about
resale value.

Parts availability is pretty good, although parts unique to the MG 1100
are going to take some hunting and perhaps sourcing to the UK where the
Austin/Morris 1100 were very, very popular.

The engine parts are shared with the 1098cc Spridget, the transmission
with the Mini. Some rolling gear is the same as the Austin America which
had the bigger 1275cc motor and an all synchro transmission. Brakes are
unique to the 1100 series, of which the MG version was the only one
imported.

As previously stated a lot of stuff is generic BMC parts bin, such as
interior door handles (same as early MGB) etc.

All in all, it is a unique vehicle which should not be too difficult to
keep on the road. I'd suggest checking the newstand for the British
magazine "Practical Classics", it specializes in daily driver classic
cars and the 1100 line is pretty popular in the UK.

The cars are prone to rust, so make sure that the shell is in good
condition. My brother used to run an Austin 1100 in the UK and he had it
laid up in a parking garage waiting for some rust repair. The car was
stolen and driven out of the garage, but was easily found as the rear
subframe mounts ripped out of the shell at the first major bump.

Kelvin