Re: [Mgs] MG TF is USA

To: <WSpohn4@aol.com>, <ladaniels@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] MG TF is USA
From: "Hans Duinhoven" <h.duinhoven@planet.nl>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 00:03:11 +0200
Fully agree Bill,

My VW Passat TDI carries the most tame version TDI - only 105 HP - almost the
same power as the MGB.
But wait - we went on vacation to Italy over the Alps - not through tunnels -
passing the Brennerpass mountaintop, with 4 adults and the rest of the
stationwagon loaded with luggage. This great pull is due to the enormous
torque a diesel engine has.
I never had to change gear from the 5th when climbing. I did had to change
gear when going downwards.
While passing these road, I overlapped 3 UK reg MGRV8's - a great view!

Talking about the economy of this comfy car:
During the 2,500 miles run in the holidays the car used an average 5.2 litres
per 100 kilometres. Sorry guys, you have to xlate to metrics now.
Back to the flat Holland roads and empty car fuel consumption is lowered to a
stunning 4.9 litres/lkilometre avg.

I did drive the 1st generation VW Golf (Rabbit for US people) diesel in 1978
with only 50 HP and a hell of a noise.
After 50K miles the engine was suffering of high pressure in the crankcase,
which was ventilated into the inlet manifold due to environmental reasons.
Suddenly the pressure got so high, not only crankcase fumes were lead into the
inlet manifold, but also engine oil.
Now the engine got power, I never believed it ever would have. I got launched
driving on the highway with my family in law included to a stunning 100
miles/h. Switching the engine off did not help, the engine oil just kept
coming into the inlet manifold.
The only thing I could do was kick the brake pedal with a heavy foot and pull
the handbrake as well with the engine switched off. Shortly after this, the
car stopped. Scary!
You also should have seen the black smoke from the exhaust!
This was in 1980 and I refused to drive this car anymore. Being a leasecar and
almost at it's end of the leaseperiod, I got myself than a new 1980 VW Passat
(dasher for USA guys) series 1.5 with the 1.5 litre 50 HP diesel engine.
This car never failed in the 3 years time and was very nice to drive.

Cheers,

Hans