Re: [Mgs] Castrol GTX 20-50W for Classics

To: Barrie Robinson <barrie@look.ca>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Castrol GTX 20-50W for Classics
From: David Ambrose <stargazer1@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 10:27:34 -0700
Barrie Robinson wrote:

>As to the lead hysteria, I did a years long test for Shell using lead
>free petrol on a newly built engine.  When examined at the end of the
>year there was absolutely no sign of trouble.

It really depends on the engine. When we switched to unleaded in
California, our Landcruiser started suffering from valve seat recession
within a few months. Sold it before we had to redo the cylinder head,
but when I had the B's engine rebuilt, I made sure they put in hardened
valve seats.

Cheers,
Dave Ambrose