Re: [Mgs] rear axle

To: 1971mgb@cox.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] rear axle
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 09:34:40 -0400
Bernd,
   You are right that the half shaft is not fastened into the
differential.  What is sticking it in place is the bearing.  A slide
hammer is easiest way to do the removal, hooked to the Moss adapter or an
equivalent that you can get someone to weld for you. In Barney's
pictures, it appears that the slide hammer is hooked behind a pin that
goes through the cotter pin hole.   Whacking on a large washer behind a
nut may do the job too, though these bearings can be quite well stuck.
Just pulling on the nut will pull the car off the jackstands before
releasing the bearing, so don't try that.
   You don't need to remove the back plate, though it's easy to do and it
falls into the "while you're at it you might as well" category. It's an
opportunity to go over the brake adjuster and hand brake linkage.  If
handbrake has not been working to your satisfaction, check Paul Hunt's
latest additions to his technical advice.
   Instructions tell you to avoid pushing the pinion pin in too far, but
they don't say how far is too far.  You don't want to find out, but need
not find out, as tapping on the end opposite the roll pin to move it
about 1/4 inch, turning the diff over, then looking at the progress will
keep you safe.  At 1/4 inch, the hole for the roll pin will just be
coming into view. Turn the diff back and forth as you tap, tapping gently
so that the hole for the roll pin is exposed. Turn the diff back again,
insert a rod or metal screwdriver, then twist and pull. The pinion pin
comes out easily.
   Use a new seal on the half shaft that you removed, and you might
consider a new one for the other side.
Bob

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 19:39:23 -0400 Bernd <1971mgb@cox.net> writes:
> today I decided to eliminate the "clunk" from the differential on my
> 71 MGB wire wheel car. I had ordered the thrust washers and started
> my disassembly on the tube axle. So far I drained the oil from the
> differential, took the back plate off the differential and have
> removed the brake drums and hub's Moss calls them "Hub Extension" ,
> my problem is how in the world do you extract the ax el shafts?,
> could I put a nut on the half axle and  give the nut a couple of
> whacks or pull on the nut real hard  to slide the axle out? I see
> Moss has a Rear Axle puller tool (384-945) available, am I  right in
> thinking that the axle shaft  is that simple to pull and there is
> nothing  holding the half shaft in place within the differential ?
> Also do I have to pull the brake back plate?
> Thanks in advance.
> B.
> 71 MGB
Click here to learn more about nursing jobs.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/Ioyw6i3nEvp8hMt9tOlISoQ1IAhKYyoDnBFqzqsx8OKw7nnL5bovA5/