Re: [Mgs] MGB rear brakes

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] MGB rear brakes
From: Eric Erickson <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 14:29:16 +1030
Bob Howard wrote:
>    At a tech session today, a member asked what would happen if one used
> GT rear cylinders on an open MGB.
>    Opinions voiced were that there would be rear wheel lock up during
> hard braking, but nobody had personal experience.
>    Has anyone tried the larger cylinders? What happened?

If this is all about getting the rears to brake harder then you have to
make sure you keep things balanced - front to rear.

When I increased the efficiency of the rear brakes (I did it by putting
discs on the rear) it certainly did mean "rear wheel lock up during hard
braking", and I suggest the same would happen no matter what you did to
increase the braking power to the back end.  And this was with 205*50 tyres.

You need to consider the balance of the vehicle (suspension, ride
height, etc etc).

I installed adjustable brake bias to try to get things back into order,
  pain in the arse that it is to keep where I want it.

You need to see what the balance is between front and back and try to
maintain that at optimum (and therefore if you increase the efficiency
of the rear brakes you would have to do the same to the fronts).

Eric
Adelaide, South Australia