Re: [Mgs] OT : Tesla - in the flesh!!

To: Rick Lindsay <rolindsay@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] OT : Tesla - in the flesh!!
From: Simon Matthews <simon.d.matthews@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 10:59:55 -0800
I don't even think the problem is energy addiction -- it's addiction
to limited sources of energy (oil, gas and coal).

Once you have an infrastructure for electric cars, then you can easily
substitute the energy source -- for example nuclear fusion (which has
been 20 years away for the last 20 years as far as I can tell).

That however, doesn't address the energy required to mine and
transport all the lithium.  Personally, I think that plug-in hybrids
are the way to go.

Simon

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 10:47 AM, Rick Lindsay <rolindsay@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Interesting perspective.  The problem we face - independent of whether we
call it 'climate change' or 'dependence on foreign oil' - is not petroleum
addiction, it's ENERGY ADDICTION.  And until we ratchet down our demand for
energy, nothing much is going to change - well, not until it runs out.  The
next problem is even more frightening.  Its just this; Everyone in the U.S.
could drive a Prius and oil consumption would still increase. We can't nor do
we have the right, to tell China and India that they don't have the right to
grow.