Re: [Mgs] Time to brag a little...

To: MGS <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Time to brag a little...
From: The Roxter <rocknatural@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 10:46:31 -0500
Paul Root wrote:
> Congratulations Rick, and to your son.
>
> Rocky, I just can't see you at IBM. I served time at IBM in Kingston
> as a contractor in the late 80s. As buttoned down as it was then I
> just can't image how it was in the 60s.
I got disgusted with the Music Biz and walked out in 1961. I went back to Tulsa
for a few months and attended Tulsa Tech, studying electronics. I completed
about half the course and learned enough to get a good job in basic research,
running a high vacuum system, doing thin film deposition. The company folded.
so I went to Canada and worked at the same sort of thing up there, working for
CTS of Canada (Fairchild). When that petered out, I went to work for Litton's,
doing Aircraft Inertial Navigation and Weapons Release Systems, then moved over
to IBM, troubleshooting card machines and doing cabling on 360 Systems. I was
good at it; I was one of two special troubleshooting techs in Toronto. We did
the ones nobody else could figure out.

It was while I was in Ontario that I started racing an MGA and then a series of
Minis. I went back in 1998, on the pit crew with Stevens Brothers Racing. I was
disappointed that they had blacktopped the course at Mosport and covered up the
groove my suspension cut across turn 8 when I threw a front wheel at about 90
mph. I was proud of that groove!   :)

-The Roxter