Re: [Mgs] Fitting a radio

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Fitting a radio
From: Glenn Schnittke <g.schnittke@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 18:55:22 -0500
I've been using the same Leyland badged radio for my last three
roadsters and have this same dilemma. Since the radio is mono, I gave up
on any kind of fidelity, and I think all the other's comments about
fidelity are right on the mark. I didn't want to cut into the rear
bulkhead (it IS a structural piece) and the doors were right out as well.

I found a pair of cheesy marine enclosures at a boat shop big enough for
a four incher and fit them on the "ceiling" of the footwell all the way
forward. When I rebuilt the redcar ('67), I found that by switching the
demister outlets side-to-side they fit even tighter up there and can't
be seen unless you're REALLY looking. They do point down towards your
feet, but not as badly as before, so I get a little more highs. I wired
them in with the center 6x9 and it really doesn't sound bad. The four
inchers take the high end and are more efficient and the center gives me
all the low. Now all I need is an old Clarion EQ/booster to hide
somewhere and give it more period power. What I'm having the hardest
time finding is low-wattage speakers.

Glenn