Re: [Mgs] tappet cover leaks

To: Paul Root <ptrmgb@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] tappet cover leaks
From: James F Juhas <james.f.juhas@snet.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 16:28:53 -0400
Pretty much what I did when I got it right and it didn't leak.

HOWEVER, I had a particularly bad outcome when I tried it with the
expensive silicone gaskets that look like red neoprene.  They moved
around too much when I snugged them down and leaked.  I suggest the cork
gaskets with the appropriate goo on both surfaces.  I used the red high
temperature Permatex with excellent results, which also makes them
removable and reusable, if that matters.

Paul Root wrote:
> I finally got around to power washing my engine so I could
> definitively tell that my slight oil leak was the tappet covers.
>
> Saturday, I'm going to replace the gasket on them.
>
> Are there any tricks or "been there, done that, don't do what I did"s?
>
> I figure it's
>     Remove carbs
>     Remove exhaust manifold
>     remove covers
>     clean covers
>     scrap every bit of old gasket off covers
>     make sure covers aren't warped
>     gasket goo the gasket to the cover, let cure
>     put on engine
>     replace manifold
>     replace carbs
>     drive, be happy.
>

> I now return you to your regularly scheduled female chest discussion. :-)
>
> a Paul.

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of
james_f_juhas.vcf]