Re: [Mgs] [Mgb-v8] Kendall Oil

To: "'MG List'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] [Mgb-v8] Kendall Oil
From: "Stephen West-fisher" <steve@coastaldatasystems.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 18:24:35 -0400
So absolutely all other possibilities were ruled out?
I don't know what a "Gold Seal" engine was, but perhaps a replacement
overhauled engine? Were the old tappets used or replaced with new? Were
the tappet faces tested for the proper hardness (regardless of old or
new)? How about the camshaft itself? Was the engine properly pre-lubed
before the first start (probably at overhaul facility)? How many times had
the cores been used before this overhaul? Even a brand new engine can be
put together with substandard parts unknowingly.

The quality of metallurgy in replacement parts is not what it used to be,
and even high end overhaul facilities can make mistakes. My point is only
that there are many, many reasons for failures such as you experienced, of
which oil is only one.

My engine has never been overhauled, has 120,000 miles, and no symptoms of
problems with always using the current formulation of oil and unleaded fuel
since at least '84 when I bought it.

--
Stephen West-Fisher
Coastal Data Systems