Re: [Mgs] searching .

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] searching .
From: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 13:05:04 -0700
Must have had a slant six. That little 1bbl always had idle problems, or
rather, it wouldn't idle at all. Easier to deal with if you had an auto --
you could maintain partial throttle and pop in and out of neutral. Although
I had a fully loaded A100 van once, and on an uphill start I made sure to
give it plenty of gas before slamming it into D... One loud bang, and the
next sound I heard was the driveshaft rolling down the hill (snapped at the
rear yoke).

On the wire wheel front, when I recently took a set in just to get the old
tires dismounted (so I could clean them up), the shop managed to destroy 3
out of 4 inner tubes ...that is, after I had told them, dispose of the 2
most worn tires, but keep the inner tubes. I wouldn't have minded so much if
they had just told me they had wrecked them, but they just gave me the inner
tubes along with the wheels and tires, and didn't say anything. It was only
when I went to get new tires mounted that I found out they were all jabbed
full of holes.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149

on 3/29/10 11:58 AM, Jack Feldman at qualitas.jack@gmail.com wrote:

> If you think that is bad, listen to this.
>
> My mother-in-law always bought a stripped down care. Her last car was a
> Plymouth Duster. You might say it was a NO car. No radio, no clock, not
> automatic transmission, etc. It began to have problems with starting,
> evidently standard for that car. You had to take the air cleaner off, drop a
> screwdriver down the carb throat to keep the butterfly open, then start the
> car.
>
> Everyone said it was the carburetor but not one would do anything to fix.
> it. I finally took it to the local Chrysler/Plymouth dealer to see if they
> would fix it. When I went to pick it up (they didn't fix it either), *the
> Chrysler mechanic didn't know how to drive a stick shift.*
>
> If they couldn't, who could?
>
> I think we have the same problem with our wire wheeled cars. Not to many
> tire shops have ever seen an inner-tube. ,much less know how to fix one.
>
> Jack

Mgs@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75