Re: [Mgs] SU Fuel Pump Question

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>, <daybell7@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] SU Fuel Pump Question
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 15:09:36 +0100
Where are you applying power and ground when it "will click repeatedly if I
apply power in a rapid fashion"?  Where are you applying 12v and ground when
it doesn't  click at all?  If it clicks *once* when you apply power and
ground to the 12v and ground spades, then the points are stuck together,
either welded or maladjusted.  If you can lift them apart, it is probably
adjustment.  If the points are pitted and spiked the spike needs flatting
and both faces burnishing, then the adjustment (the 'throw' of the points
when the diaphragm is manually operated) needs to be checked.

It's nothing to do with fuel (unless it has turned to treacle).  The pump
doesn't need to be primed.  With the points correctly cleaned and adjusted
the SU pump will operate perfectly for many many years and tens of thousands
of miles, which is why probably the majority still have them.  The points
started sticking on my roadster giving the 'clicks once' symptom you seem to
have.  I had a new spare and fitted that by the roadside, then cleaned and
adjusted the points at my leisure.  Then the aftermarket pointless
electronic pump on my other MGB started playing up intermittently, so I put
the old pump on that and it has been working without a problem every since
(some years now).

PaulH.