Re: [Mgs] '80 MGB: Faulty coil and fuel pump

To: The Roxter <rocknatural@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] '80 MGB: Faulty coil and fuel pump
From: Richard Ewald <richard.ewald@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 13:50:13 -0700
A 1980 car with points?  Not in the US unless it was backdated by a previous
owner.
While coils can fail, usually the point of failure is the switching circuit
(points, magnetic pickup, optical pick up what ever)
Rick

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 12:00 PM, The Roxter <rocknatural@gmail.com> wrote:

> Mark Wise wrote:
>
>> I wrote in a couple weeks ago asking about getting my 1980 MGB back on the
>> road.  My father is here and we started some trouble shooting this morning.
>>
>> Problem #1: there is no charge coming from the coil to the plugs, but
>> there is power going to the coil.  Fortunately, I have an extra coil in my
>> "box of parts", so we're going to swap that in and see if that addresses
>> that problem.
>>

> Make sure the little flexible ground wire, connected between the
> distributor body and the base plate is intact.
> After enough use, it can break, usually at the spot-weld. Make sure the
> points are gapped correctly and the timing is right.

Mgs@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive