[Mgs] More NJVGP news: clutch advice needed

To: MGVR@yahoogroups.com, vintage-race@autox.team.net,
Subject: [Mgs] More NJVGP news: clutch advice needed
From: "J. F. Juhas" <james.f.juhas@snet.net>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 22:53:26 -0400
When Roger's engine grenaded at New Jersey, I drove past him but just
barely.  My MGA is struggling with a slipping clutch, and it made my
last few sessions challenging.  This is a kevlar solid (no springs)
clutch with a competition-grade pressure plate.  I think oil past the
rear scroll seal has contaminated it, even though conventional wisdom
says that oil from there should get flung away from the clutch cover.
Has anyone dealt with this?  I was able to salvage some sessions by
spraying brake cleaner up the drain hole with the clutch out and
spinning on the starter.  That and cooling off would run okay for about
half a race session.  Engine is a slightly modified 1622 and 4.30:1
rear.  My next plan is to go to a ceramic clutch material (have a source
in NJ) and a PCV system to help keep the oil in the engine, although the
oil consumption does not seem remarkable.  Suggestions welcome.

Jim Juhas
MGA 311

Mgs@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html