Re: [Mgs] Chrome

To: "Ron Fine" <RonFineEsq@earthlink.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Chrome
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 16:53:11 +0100
If chrome is pitted it has had it.  This defect usually comes from
underneath and so goes all the way through to the base coatings, you won't
be able to polish it out.  I've never used so-called chrome cleaner on any
chrome of mine, if simple car polish doesn't remove any and all dirt very
easily and bring it to full lustre then again it has had it.  If rust stains
appear on the surface, again it has had it.  Chrome cleaner *is* abrasive
and so continued use will eventually wear it away.  Very cruddy chrome that
hasn't been cleaned in years may well have a dirt and rust coating that
resists ordinary body polish and so you may have to use chrome cleaner to
remove it, but it should be by exception rather than for general cleaning.
I've had a tube for over 20 years, as I only use it for polishing other
metals, not chrome.

PaulH.