[Mgs] engine question

To: cyberemp@comcast.net, MG LIST <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Mgs] engine question
From: Malcolm Jeffcock <msjeffcock@eastlink.ca>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 18:51:11 -0300
This task has been very frustrating I thought that once I had the engine out it
would be a single day re-install, maybe 4 hours allowing for a lot of jiggling
by myself...I still don't even have my transmission and engine mated! My latest
bought with my own ignorance is similar to what Eric has stated in the message
below. I went to put the fly wheel back on the engine, install clutch etc. a
short job but after three hours still in bits! Bentley manual states:
            WHEN REPLACING THE FLYWHEEL ENSURE THAT THE 1 AND 4 TIMING MARK ON
THE PERIPHERY OF THE FLYWHEEL IS IN LINE WITH AND ON THE SAME SIDE AS THE FIRST
AND FOURTH THROWS OF THE CRANKSHAFT.
            TO ASSIST CORRECT LOCATION OF THE FLYWHEEL THE DEPRESSION IN THE
CRANKSHAFT FLANGE SHOULD BE IN LINE WITH THE ONE ON THE FLYWHEEL PERIPHERY

So I searched, and I searched for a "timing mark" on the flywheel...find
nothing. So I search the other flywheel...nothing. So I have no 1 and 4 timing
mark that I can see, I see no depression in the crank flange either. I thought
it was a question of my ignorance, not really knowing what I am looking for but
I could find no mark of any type! What am I looking for? How big/noticeable is
the "depression" I should be looking for? Anyone have a photo? I have a single
dowel for the flywheel to mount on while installing...should there be two? It
looks like there is a hole for one on each side of the wheel...

Another question: should there have been a gasket between the transmission and
engine? I had a fair bit of oil inside my bell housing, there was nothing to
act as a gasket? Would a very thing film of silicone be in order?
On a positive note if you have seen that CLR degreaser that is now advertised
really works well, far more effective than the other degreasers I used at first
to clean it out..
Another issue is the distributor...how do I ensure it is correctly oriented and
not 180 off?

Well if I can get some guidance on these points I would be very grateful,
thanks. I am learning that my ignorance knows no bounds!

Malcolm

  ---