Re: [Mgs] engine question

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] engine question
From: Charles Hill <chillmog@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 22:59:08 -0500
It is done all the time in street rod circles.  It isn't really a good
idea for street engines though.  If everything is balanced as a unit,
any clutch or flywheel work will mean a complete engine tear-down.  No
big deal for a race engine that will be apart at least a couple of times
a season anyway but you won't be happy when you have to tear down the
engine on your daily driver to balance everything when you blow the
clutch.  They might try to charge you more, but it isn't that much more
to balance each part separately.  BTDT.  My wife had the smoothest
running 267 V8 Chevy Malibu.  I had free run of the machine shop and
everything was ported, polished and balanced when it actually only
needed a ring job.  All it cost was my time since it was apart anyway.
Great grocery getter until it was T-boned by an 80-year-old in a Buick :(.
Charles Hill

Ron King wrote:
> For what it's worth, in one of the Mark Evans "An MG is Born" episodes, one
> where the engine had come back from the machine shop, the place had balanced
> the crank, flywheel, and clutch plate as a unit.  Mark references the
> balance marks on all three in the episode as I recall.
>
> Ron King
> '71 MGB

Mgs@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html