Re: [Mgs] OIL

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] OIL
From: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 13:19:22 -0700
I think you will find that the increase in zinc tracked increasing
compression ratios and higher valve spring pressures.

Even the B engine was high compression and high revving compared to the
typical sedan engine of the mid 50s. The typical 5- or 6-liter Detroit V8
went from maybe 140hp to well over 300hp in that period, almost entirely
through higher CR and higher revs.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149

on 8/31/10 12:47 PM, Stephen West-Fisher at steve@coastaldatasystems.com
wrote:

> If you look at the amount of zinc in modern formulations as compared to that
> in the 50's, you will find they are about the same. Zinc in oil started
> rising in the late 60's, I don't recall the reason but I doubt it was due to
> flat tappets.
>
> My own take on the problems a few people started having has more to do with
> modern "offshore" metallurgy or the number of overhauls the cams have
> survived.
>
> --
> Stephen West-Fisher
> Coastal Data Systems