[Mgs] Late Alternator

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: [Mgs] Late Alternator
From: "Eugene Balinski" <eugeneb@nni.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 22:20:30 -0400
All,

  Well, the Alternator light on the dash was just starting
to illuminate when I brought the car home the other night.
 Raise the rpm a bit and it goes out.  I have never seen it
do that before so it is probably time for an alternator.
 It is the original one.

   I will check the voltage regulator, belt tension, and
connections, but in the event that an alternator is called
for, what is the general wisdom ?   Auto Zone supposedly
has a direct Lucas replacement (45 AMP rating), for $112.00
including core fee.   Moss has one for $119.00

    However, I understand that the preferred method is to
use a higher output GM alternator with appropriate wiring
change.  Can someone re-enlighten me?

Thanks,

   Gene 80 B
http://www.nni.com/