Re: [Mgs] Should I Tell Them?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Should I Tell Them?
From: Charles Hill <chillmog@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2010 20:55:54 -0500
I can't comment on the other items as I am not familiar with them.  You
are correct on the jacks on the Morgan dash.  They more correctly known
as 'inspection sockets.'  They are or were common on British cars.
There were definitely trouble lights.  My Morgan originally came with a
demister that plugged in these sockets.  Undoubtedly there were other
accessories.  Surely there must have been some sort of tea making
accessory (grin).

Charles Hill

On 11/2/2010 7:18 PM, Jack Feldman wrote:
> I love Hemmings Sports and Exotic Car. I enjoy every issue. Unfortunately,
> the sometimes seem as accurate of the History Channel. If you have seen the
> History Channel's  hour on the Austin Healey you know what I mean.
>
> I was tempted to write them before when they had a suggestion for rewiring
> lights with relays. The circuit made no sense.
>
> In this issue there are two items that they seem to have no clue about. One
> is in the picture of a Morgan dash showing all the insturments plus two
> jacks and they claim they don't know what purpose the jacks serve. The
> picture is on page 44 of the December issue. The jacks are  colored red and
> black. I always thought those jacks on the older cars were a power take off
> like the cigarette lighter jacks we use in modern cars. I also remember
> seeing an ancient trouble light with plugs to fit jacks like that. Am I
> correct?
>
> The second is on page 88 where they identify the Sunbeam used in *To Catch A
> Thief* as an Alpine. I remember a program on PBS the History Detectives in
> which a man thought his Sunbeam *Talbot* was the car used in the movie.
> After some searching they cam up with the actual production records which
> listed the VIN of the car that was used. It wasn't his. Do I remember
> correctly?
>
> Yours for more accuracy in magazines.
>
> Jack

Mgs@autox.team.net