Re: [Mgs] Hydraulics

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Hydraulics
From: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 09:23:28 -0700
Yeah, it may be superstition at this point. But after having the MC seals
dissolve back in the 80s, I have been religious about using Castrol LMA.
Which is rated DOT 4, I believe. It also seems to use a different chemical
base than "generic" DOT 4, so there may actually be something to it.

The DOT ratings are performance standards (having to do with
compressibility, water absorption, and boiling temp), not materials
standards, so it is possible for manufacturers to meet them using different
formulas -- the exception (of course there is an exception) is DOT 5, which
only applies to silicone-based fluid.

All the literature I have read on the topic warns against mixing silicone
fluid with other types in the strongest possible terms. I would take that as
a hint.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149

on 6/10/11 8:37 AM, Paul Root at ptrmgb@gmail.com wrote:

> I was under the impression that was a Triumph that was the issue with melting
> seals and DOT 3. Had a friend in college with a TR4 that had that happen to
> him.
>
> The service manual for the MGB says DOT 3 or DOT 4.
>
> On Jun 10, 2011, at 9:48 AM, Steven Trovato wrote:
>
>> Max,
>>
>> I use Castrol LMA, but I wonder if this theory still applies.  Are there
>> really "British seals" anymore?  In Steve's case, he said he's rebuilt
>> replaced cylinders multiple times.  I would imagine that replacement seals
>> are made out of the same stuff whether for an MG or a Toyota.  Maybe we need
>> to figure out what works best with Chinese seals.
>>
>> -Steve Trovato
>> strovato@optonline.net
>>

>> At 04:02 PM 6/9/2011, Max Heim wrote:
>>> You might want to switch to Castrol LMA brake fluid instead of generic DOT4.
>>> IME generic brake fluid can rot British seals.

Mgs@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive