Re: [Mgs] Temp Gauge Reading High

To: "Councill, David" <dcouncill@msubillings.edu>, "'Matthew
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Temp Gauge Reading High
From: "Hans Duinhoven" <h.duinhoven@planet.nl>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 11:47:24 +0200
The voltage stabilizer also would affect other gauges.
So check, if these are working as expected.
If other gauges are not working properly, the stabilizer maybe faulty.
Before replacing this instrument, it is important to check, is the
stabilizer is making a good ground contact with its housing.
After so many years there may well be some dirt and corrosion between the
firewall and the stabilizer, which obstructs the effective working of the
stabilizer. The ground contact of the stabilizer is essential for the entire
electrical cicuit.

If the temp gauge is the only which shows unexpected readings, the gauge or
sender maybe faulty.
The sender is the easiest part to fix, though can be hard to remove from the
engine block.
I had to really stand with my full weight on the wrench, before the sender
came lose.
You also may try to find tables, which show electical values measured at the
sender against certain temperatures.
Measure this at the sender and see what the readings are.

It also might be, that the gauge should be readjusted. This only should be
done, if you never have had good gauge readings. Readjustment is possible
with two screws accessable via the rear of the gauge.
Two cork caps are normally filling the access hole for this adjustment.

Cheers,

Hans

2 weeks after a weeks vacation in England with the 71 BGT.
Was a great event - met Paul Hunt at the Heritage Museum @ Gaydon.