[Mgs] Temp Gauge Reading High

Subject: [Mgs] Temp Gauge Reading High
From: paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk (Paul Hunt)
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 10:28:36 +0100
If it were a wiring fault i.e. a short the gauge would either be pegged or
nearly so as soon as you turned on the ignition.  If it starts off from C
and only gradually rises as the engine warms, and the coolant temperature is
correct, then there is probably a mis-match between gauge and sender.
http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/electricstext1.htm#tempgauge has some resistance
measurements for the pre-77 sender, and there is also some info on gauge and
sender changes.

As already said it could be the stabiliser but that would affect the fuel
gauge as well, and the readings would go up and down with system voltage.
You can check that by removing the green/blue wire from the temperature
*sender* and measuring the voltage on it.  With the factory stabiliser when
you first turn on the ignition you should see 12v for a few seconds, then it
should start pulsing on and off about once per second.  If you have an
after-market stabiliser this will probably show a constant 10v or so while
the ignition is on.  If you see a constant 12v for more than a few seconds
then the stabiliser is either faulty or has been bypassed.

PaulH.