Re: [Mgs] brake line question

To: mgs@autox.team.net, davewillner <dwillner@ptd.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] brake line question
From: Matthew Milkevitch <mmilkevitch@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 07:51:52 -0700 (PDT)
Hello;

I've replaced 2 of the solid brake lines on my '74 B-GT.  The first was the
line from the MC to the right front brake caliper (passenger's side), and the
other was to the left (driver's side) rear wheel cylinder.  Replacing the
front line was something of a challenge because of the bends involved, the
rear was easier.  You can order the lines from Moss of VB, and Moss also sells
a complete kit in which the lines are nickel/copper alloy.  I believe the
lines composed of nickel/copper alloy are corrosion resistant and easier to
bend.  I would highly recommend purchasing a bending tool to make your 90
degree bend.  You can get those from a variety of sources.  I have a
plier-type that I purchased from Eastwood, and a lever type that I purchased
from McMaster.  The lever-type works very well for the 90 degree bend.  This
tool has a lever which allows you to make a smooth bend (it bends the line
around a cylinder on the tool).  You can search for
 that tool on the McMaster website (http://www.mcmaster.com).  They have a
location in NJ and ship very quickly.

I would also recommend you inspect all your lines now to see if more are
corroding.  If they are, you will want to replace those also.  If you do that,
you may also wish to replace all the flexible lines as a preventative measure
(you're going to have to drain the system anyhow, so why not??).  I don't
think new flexible lines are very expensive, and it's always good to err on
the side of caution with your brakes.

Hope this information helps,
Matt Milkevitch
'74 B-GT