[Mgs] Generator problems - 64B

Subject: [Mgs] Generator problems - 64B
From: dcouncill at msubillings.edu (Councill, David)
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 18:13:58 +0000
My 64B had a generator failure a few weeks ago. That wouldn't be unusual
except that I have been bringing this car back to life after sitting in an
Oregon garage for almost 30 years and this represents a failure of a recently
restored part (less than a year, less than 500 miles). I had a local auto
electric place repair it and they indicated the armature had failed this time.
This was an old generator that used to be in my 67BGT.  I used it to replace
the old non-working generator in the 64B which turned out to be a different
size so I had to adjust the bracket on the engine for the change.

So here is the crux of the problem. The generator that was originally in the
64B is a Lucas 22763E unit which a search on the Internet indicates is a C40L
that may have been used in some Triumphs. It appears to be a higher output
generator. I had the auto electric place test my generator collection and the
control box. He repaired both generators but a third spare he said was a lost
cause except for the case. He said the other generator (the standard MGB one),
after replacing the armature, still runs warm to hot compared to the C40L
unit, using the voltage regulator that came with the 64B. Which makes me
wonder - would the control box (aka voltage regulator) be relatively universal
or would they be fairly specific to model of generator? I thought the Moss
catalog would answer this question but I cannot even locate the MGB control
box in their catalog for some reason and I cannot tell for sure what Triumphs
used the C40L (a post on the Internet indicated a person had one in his 68
GT6).

David Councill
64 B
67 BGT