Re: [Mgs] stromberg tuning/repair?

To: aschneider@shaw.ca
Subject: Re: [Mgs] stromberg tuning/repair?
From: "mgbob@juno.com" <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2012 01:54:08 GMT
To get my 1975 Stromberg equipped MGB to pass emissions in Connecticut
required carb and ignition settings that made the engine suffer so that it
could barely power the car to the testing station.
First thing I would recommend is to set the timing. It may be quite retarded
as that is what we had to do. Retarded spark causes the engine to be powerless
and to run hot.
Remove a couple of spark plugs. Are they grey / hot looking? If they are,
richen the mix, with a barely perceptible tun of the mixture screw. Check the
book foi "in" or "out" as I forget now which richens the mixture.
Also look carefully at the intake manifold to see if any rubber hoses or the
line to the brake booster have blown off from backfiiring.
Be of good cheer; it's much easier to get it running right again than to get
it to pass emissions.
Bob