Re: [Mgs] Painting inside a chassis

To: ejrussell@mebtel.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Painting inside a chassis
From: "mgbob@juno.com" <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 14:52:51 GMT
Eric,   I would choose Waxoyl or an equivalent also.   Unlike paints, that
tend to "bridge" the joints between metal pieces, leaving a hollow unprotected
area underneath, the Waxoyle creeps right into tiny spaces, such as around
rivet heads, bolts, brake tube clamps and such.  It's not elegant, and it does
smell of solvent for weeks, but you can wipe it off areas that are to be
painted, and it seems to  do a good job over the years.   If you have a couple
of pieces of metal around, bolt them together, paint the edges and put on a
little Waxoyl. The WO creeps right into the spaces and works up its way up
vertical surfaces too.  Toyota had a recall of the chassis on many Tacomas a
year or so back. A three-MG friend has one, 2002, that was so rusted Toyota
installed a new chassis under the vehicle. Mine, same age, same mileage, the
same agent declared to be the soundest chassis of those he inspected. The
first week I owned the Tacoma I sprayed it with a two litre can of Waxoyl.
It's anecdotal evidence, but I am a believer.Bob