Re: [Mgs] Starting Problem

To: DMatt21502@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Starting Problem
From: Paul Root <ptrmgb@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 20:45:24 -0600
my first thought was the rotor. There are numerous reports of the rivet being
loose/bad.

You don't mention if it's points, original electronic ignition or replacement
(the recall) electronic ignition, or pertronix or anything else.

But still, I'm guessing rotor.

On Jan 25, 2012, at 7:39 PM, DMatt21502@aol.com wrote:

> Yesterday I tried to start my 1977 MGB for the first time in  about two
> months. It cranked fine but wouldn't start. It was not getting any  spark. I
> took my test lamp and hooked it to the ignition side of coil. With key  on
it
> lit up. When I connected the light to both sides of coil and cranked it
> showed nothing. I assumed a bad coil. I then took the distributor cap off
and
> inspected it. Looked ok. Took the rotor out and it looked ok but just for
> good  measure I cleaned the connector. Not seeing any evidence of moisture
or
> other  problems I reassembled everything and tried to start the car. It
> started without  problem and ran fine.  This has happened in the past any
time
> the car sits  for more than four or five days. Also seems to be more of a
> problem in cold  weather. Any ideas

Mgs@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75