Re: [Mgs] Torn gaiter

To: "Andrew B. Lundgren" <lundgren@byu.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Torn gaiter
From: "PaulHunt73" <paulhunt73@virginmedia.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 08:47:00 +0100
If oil was originally in there but leaked out from the torn gaiter then the
inside of it and the rack should still be wet with oil both ends, not dry,
even if it leaked out a long time ago.  It can leak from the shaft bush,
yoke cover plate and end float cover as well as from the ends of (or a rip
in) the gaiter.

I think MGA racks must have been more complex than MGB (which did originally
have the lubrication nipple).  The MGB only has a spring damper and shims
bearing on the side of the shaft to control depth of engagement with the
rack as well as sideways movement of the rack.  The other end has a plain
bearing which can wear, causes that end of the rack to rattle up and down,
and has to be replaced.  If the track rods need some force to articulate
them, i.e. without a gaiter they do not drop straight down, those are OK.
If in the straight ahead position there is no free play between shaft and
rack then that is OK.  Most wear occurs there of course, and if you fiddle
with the shims under the yoke cover to remove that it will bind at either
side.

PaulH.