Re: [Mgs] MGA 180 out Distributor Mystery

To: <crk@godblessthe.us>, "'MG List'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] MGA 180 out Distributor Mystery
From: "PaulHunt73" <paulhunt73@virginmedia.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 08:43:58 +0100
Quite.  It's a convention.  As the distributor will only fully engage with
the drive gear in one position it is only of use when changing caps ... or
removing plug leads from cap and/or plugs ... or installing a different
distributor ... Come to think of it that's quite a few 'only's, and a bit
like 'What did the Romans do for us?'.

However with the distributor inserted and the drive dog engaged with the
gear you can turn the body all you like but the rotor won't move.  That's
why you have to move the leads round the cap if the distributor assembly or
drive gear orientation aren't as they were when the engine last ran.

PaulH.