Re: [Mgs] loctite question

To: <ccrobins@ktc.com>, "'Duvall Video Productions'" <mike@duvallvideo.com>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] loctite question
From: "Michael Singleton" <mike@sportscarslimited.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 09:30:03 -0800
Cc: mgs@autox.team.net
It has been interesting to see all the various theories on nut and bolt
tightening. However, in all cases it is advisable to consult the factory
service manual first. In the MGTD/F Workshop Manual under "Torque Spanner
Data," which should provide an indication that the factory did, in fact,
believe in torque wrenches, The listed torque value for both Connecting rod
big-end bolts, as well as Main bearing cap nuts, the values are listed as
"320 lbs. in. (to the next split pin hole) and 750 lbs. in. (to the next
split pin hole)"  respectively. I realize that Mike is referring to a MPJG
engine, not a XPEG or XPAG engine and might not have the proper
documentation on it, but the general thinking from the factory did not
change much until significantly after the war, when they discovered the self
locking nut.

Additionally, it is always advisable to use the proper Loctite sealant and
properly install it. Suggestions and directions on use are available on the
Loctite site:  http://www.loctite.com/