Re: [Mgs] won't start

To: "Monte Jane Morris" <montejane@gmail.com>, "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] won't start
From: "PaulHunt73" <paulhunt73@virginmedia.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 15:11:30 +0100
If it started OK after sitting 7 months, runs fine, but won't start after a
short switch-off, I don't really see it being fuel, although a year in the
tank is a long time especially considering what I hear about American fuels.

Ether is likely to mask all sorts of problems - fuel and ignition.  It may
well make it start more easily, but it's just covering up a fault (or
faults) that should be diagnosed and fixed properly.

Running the float chambers dry (disconnect the pump and run the engine till
it conks out) then hook up a temporary container with fresh fuel to gravity
feed the carbs (single feed to both carbs as normal with HIFs I presume)
will eliminate the fuel.

But I'd also be checking the spark and seeing if the plugs are wet or smell
strongly of fuel after cranking for a while with no start.  manual choke I
presume, are you using that when trying to restart?

PaulH.