[Mgs] Fan Relay fried...

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Mgs] Fan Relay fried...
From: "Andrew B. Lundgren" <lundgren@byu.net>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 21:48:02 -0600
One email per question is a good idea right?  ;)

My '78 has been retro fitted with a single pull electric fan with a temp
sensor against the radiator.

I have discovered that the relay controlling the fan fried.  It still
functions, but the wire coming out of the bottom is nearly burned off.
(Won't be driving until this is resolved.)

The first symptom of the problem was the engined died when the cooling
fan came on.  While investigating why there was no power going to the
coil, I found that by tugging on the harness the power came back on.  I
heard electrical sparks while tugging and my son noticed smoke coming
off of the fan relay.

It appears to be wired correctly as the fan does come on when the power
is applied.

Any thoughts as to why the relay fried?

Bad ground?

Isn't the point of the relay to pass more power though than would
otherwise be possible?

Thanks!
--
Andrew