Re: [Mgs] Adding oil to steering rack while I have the radiator out

Subject: Re: [Mgs] Adding oil to steering rack while I have the radiator out
From: dwoerpel@wi.net
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2013 23:16:30 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
As long as we're talking steering parts, anyone know if the present
available rubber gaiters are from the usual suspects are long
lasting?  My 27 y.o. gaiters are starting to show signs of
cracking.  I know some rubber parts have been suspect in the past.

BTW, I fill the rack through the damper openings and the
grease(actually oil) fitting by removing the fitting.  It's slow but
it works.

Thanks,

Dave W.

> On my Magnette and MGA, when I have the car on jack stands I can
push
> on the tires and move the rack from full left to full right
and back
> again with relative ease.  When I do this, I can hear
the fluid run
> from one side to the other.  I am therefore quite
certain that the
> oil is getting everywhere and not just sitting
in the bottom of the
> gaiter.  This tells me that there is enough
oil in there and I have
> no reason to mess around with trying to
add more.  I think that after
> the initial fill, the oil should