Re: [Mgs] Heater Air Control

Subject: Re: [Mgs] Heater Air Control
From: "PaulHunt73" <paulhunt73@virginmedia.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 08:19:23 -0000
Cc: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
I've never had a problem with the heater when everything is working as it
should, I get 63C/145F out of mine at an ambient of 8C/46F and that's enough
to burn our feet.  You can't expect what is basically a 60-year old design
to compete with modern cars.  There are no less then 10 areas in the system
that can cause low output and all need checking.  Because of the lost motion
in the linkage and the fact that the arc of operation of the control is much
the same as the arc of operation of the valve, it is true that if you adjust
the linkage to fully close the valve it doesn't move the lever its full
distance when open.  However that is a long way from being restrictive as it
should still lift the main part of the seal off its seat.  Before that it is
controlling a needle valve, which gives fine control at smaller openings,
and this is what you need to remember if contemplating a different design of
valve, which may not have that fine control.

PaulH.