[Mgs] Now I'm in for it...

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Mgs] Now I'm in for it...
From: Max Heim <mvheim@sonic.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2014 12:40:18 -0700
I just bought a rolling 67 MGB shell as a replacement for my trusty but
rusty 66 roadster. It's been in dry storage in a woodshop, apparently --
it's full of sawdust but no rust on the bodywork. The seller had got it in
a package deal with a 65 runner that had rusted out doglegs. He just wanted
to flip the pair of them. He was eager to move them since they filled his
shop floor to the point of gridlock.

The plan is to finish stripping this shell and drop it at the paint shop. It
is missing a left front wing (which I have) and a front valence. The only
body damage I could discern was on the rear valence near the right spring
shackle -- it looks like it had fallen off the jack onto a jackstand. After
I got it home I would swap everything over from the 66, including the entire
suspension (mine has wire wheels, this has steelies from some other marque
with enormous tires -- 195/70 and 185/70), the drivetrain obviously, and the
decent interior bits. This would leave me with enough parts to host my own
swap meet, though the 66 shell is probably too far gone to interest anyone
out here on the west coast.

The floors and boot are full of miscellaneous junk that needs to be cleaned
out, some of which constitutes actual parts (air cleaners, door pulls,
window winders). The seats are out of a 73 or so, but I wasn't planning to
use them -- pretty much everything would come out of the 66 or new from
Moss.

We did a little horsetrading -- he wanted to keep the windshield and the
Nardi steering wheel for the other car, but I got him to throw in the
fiberglass hardtop for $100. I actually hooked this onto my 66 and drove
home with it -- it's quieter and sturdier than my Snugtop, even with the
headliner falling out and no seals. This is one of those rounded-looking
ones with the wraparound rear window -- probably a dealer option since it
was painted body color (Old English White).

>From the VIN, this was one of the last 500 67s off the line (out of over
29,000 roadsters).

Oh, well, it will keep me off the streets, as they say...

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149 (days are numbered, but don't tell her that)