Re: [Mgs] OT - F1 (besides, its too quiet here

To: Rick Lindsay <richardolindsay@gmail.com>, Dan DiBiase via Mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>,mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] OT - F1 (besides, its too quiet here
From: Barrie Robinson via Mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2015 09:18:29 -0500
I watch F1 avidly as a long time ago used to field a TR2 in the Far
East when I worked for a British import company.  I find adverts most
annoying and I never buy anything that appears on television.  But as
to F1, I remember when F1 was about cars and drivers not rules and
regulations.  The current events are just technology squeezed through
a sieve.   Why restrict tyres, why restrict overtaking and why
restrict car weight.   Why not just restrict engine weight !   I
still get goose bumps viewing Fangio negotiating the down bend at
Monte Carlo.   Nothing like that now.  All cars look the same, all
cars sound the same. Events such as the screaming 12 cylinder Honda
that burst on the scene way back when will not happen again,  We just
get processed stodge overseen by highly paid F1 controllers.   With
all the technology now how long will it be before F1 cars drive themselves?

My project sits in the garage in freezing minus 17 degrees Celsius.

At 07:31 AM 1/17/2015 -0600, Rick Lindsay via Mgs wrote:
>Hello Friends,
>
>In the quiet hours of this morning,  I have chosen to share some OT
>thoughts. Please delete now if you find this offensive. I promise it
>won't happen often. But if you also follow Formula1, please read on.
>
>I just read that the FIA has agreed to allow Honda in-season engine
>development for the 2015 F1 season. Could this be the first sane FIA
>decision in recent years? The article didn't say specifically if
>Honda would be afforded the same development opportunities as the
>other teams. Only that they had won their appeal with the FIA. That
>alone is a quantum change!
>
>What are your thoughts regarding the 2015 season? I know some of
>you, like many in the general public, feel that F1 is living on
>borrowed time. I too have noticed the half-empty grandstands and the
>increased frequency of TV commercials, in the States anyway. But it
>seems that the message may have gotten through to the organizers.
>Healthy changes may be coming. Often it takes a bit of time, plus a
>significant financial hit, to overcome an owner's arrogance. Only
>then do they learn that one can't just force feed their customers
>silliness for very long before those customers are no longer customers!
>
>Counter to trend, I expect McLaren to come on strong and stay
>strong. The chassis last year, wasn't bad. And this isn't Honda's
>first rodeo. Jensen is a very smooth driver. As such, he doesn't add
>a lot of 'noise' to the data stream coming off of the car. Same with
>tires. One might even view his drives as in-season testing, while
>still capable of gathering up points. And of course, Fred is good.
>
>I hope to see Williams continue the progress they showed in the
>later half of 2014. They too can be strong. Massa may have lost that
>chip from his shoulder by now, so the whining may subside. I hope
>so. He's a good driver but I fear his championship aspirations are
>behind him. Still, good for points.
>
>I believe Ferrari's public statements about hoping to win two races
>this season, is an 'under promise, over deliver' scheme. That
>psychological approach rallies the fans around the underdog. But,
>"Have no fear, Underdog is here!" Below are my thoughts on the 2015
>season for the red cars.
>
>Kimi will just keep on doing whatever he does. But, what will Seb do
>in a red fire suit? Personally, I care very little about the
>drivers. I like the cars - but you may know that. What I do follow
>is how the driver influences car development.
>
>Seb's self-described driving style is 'point-n-squirt'. That works
>great in a chassis that handles the rest of the issues. Witness the
>earlier Red Bulls. But make the chassis a pig to drive, like most of
>the cars last last season, and that go-kart style of driving doesn't
>work. One has to actually drive the car from braking point through
>to exit, rather than just ride it out. The big question in my mind
> [...]

Regards,
Barrie

Barrie Robinson                         Go with the flow - but paddle hard
MGB GT V8 in concours condition
Aston Martin DB 2/4 MkII under restoration
www.AMFClub.com
www.britcot.com
www.vectisgroup.ca
barrie@look.ca