Re: [Mgs] 54 TF ammeter question

To: dontoy@comcast.net,mgs@autox.team.net et>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] 54 TF ammeter question
From: Barney Gaylord via Mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2015 10:43:11 -0500

--=====================_301717140==.ALT

I will guess that when you "switched" the two wires you actually
reinstalled them the same as before.  Want to try it again?

At 03:24 PM 1/18/2015 +0000, dontoy--- via Mgs wrote:
>Dear listers,
>I have a 1954 TF which my father drove home from Pittsburgh in 1971.
>After an electrical problem way back then the ammeter got fried,
>along with damaging the temperature gauge. In an effort to go back
>to original I sent both units out for restoration to MoMa. I
>installed the temperature gauge first and it went up to 185* and
>held it there. That made me smile. Then I installed the ammeter.
>Since I had did the polarity switch (now a negative ground car) I
>wasn't sure which wire went on which terminal. I just guessed and
>put the brown with white on the left terminal, the solid brown on
>the right.  Of course upon starting the car, the ammeter ran in the
>negative side. 50% chance and I guessed wrong. So I thought. After
>reversing the wires I got the same result. I know I'm charging since
>I have never had a problem. I don't run a trickle charger and can
>start the car anytime in go out into the garage, even after months.
>Is this just one of the effects of switching the polarity or is
>there something I'm missing. I was showing a charge on the
>aftermarket unit that I was trying to replace. Ideas?
>Don Toy

--=====================_301717140==.ALT

I will guess that when you &quot;switched&quot; the two wires you
actually reinstalled them the same as before.&nbsp; Want to try it
again?<br><br>
At 03:24 PM 1/18/2015 +0000, dontoy--- via Mgs wrote:<br>
I have a 1954 TF which my father drove home from Pittsburgh in 1971.
After an electrical problem way back then the ammeter got fried, along
with damaging the temperature gauge. In an effort to go back to original
I sent both units out for restoration to MoMa. I installed the
temperature gauge first and it went up to 185* and held it there. That
made me smile. Then I installed the ammeter. Since I had did the polarity
switch (now a negative ground car) I wasn't sure which wire went on which
terminal. I just guessed and put the brown with white on the left
terminal, the solid brown on the right.&nbsp; Of course upon starting the
car, the ammeter ran in the negative side. 50% chance and I guessed
wrong. So I thought. After reversing the wires I got the same result. I
know I'm charging since I have never had a problem. I don't run a trickle
charger and can start the car anytime in go out into the garage, even
after months. Is this just one of the effects of switching the polarity
or is there something I'm missing. I was showing a charge on the
aftermarket unit that I was trying to replace. Ideas? <br>
Don Toy<br>