Re: [Mgs] Brake filaure

To: "Barrie Robinson" <barrob@bell.net>, "MGB List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Brake filaure
From: PaulHunt73 via Mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2020 08:23:42 +0100 kZzxmuD5o3P/0SNDmipwWBh4tfEas42SU4/tVNNnE8UtQl4o8ukPwcC9yhcHvO0OtIKysO5YkT8fKA==

--===============7856358749635381678==
        boundary="----=_NextPart_000_002E_01D6237F.A7043D60"

------=_NextPart_000_002E_01D6237F.A7043D60
        charset="utf-8"

I'm not aware that blowing and sucking on any tube at the carb will help =
in diagnosing the brakes.  If you mean the servo hose that should come =
from the inlet manifold but still be no help.

Stomping on the pedal should not put air into the system, if it does =
then there is a fault somewhere that needs to be found.

Is this single-circuit or dual-circuit brakes?  The former should have a =
'slow-return' valve in the master outlet and with that if a couple of =
quick pumps on the pedal makes the pedal shorter and harder, but then it =
goes long and spongy again if released for a few seconds, that does =
indicate air in the system.  Dual circuit varied.

Unless the fluid level in the master dropped right down to outlet level, =
or you have opened the plumbing anywhere, you should not get air in the =
system by being parked up.  A leak will of course lower the level, could =
possibly allow air in I suppose, but doubtful in my mind.  I've found =
that fluid dropping on a concrete floor 'evaporates' over time.  Check =
the carpets under the pedal as that is another place where fluid goes if =
the master secondary seal fails.

Bleeding method varies according to system type i.e. single or dual.

PaulH.
  ----- Original Message -----=20

  I have a power assist brake system which after bringing out of winter =
cover my MGB GT V8 exhibited brake failure  No brake fluid on the floor =
but it did need topping up.   So added Dot 4 but still soft squashy =
pedal.    Blowing/sucking  on tube to Edelbrock carb (I have a Rover V8 =
dropped in) it sucked but would not blow (I understand this is correct}. =
 So we figured that the brakes need bleeding - is this a correct =
diagnosis?  Any tips for a non-brake but fairly well versed owner.   If =
I stomped a lot on the pedal when engine running would that put air into =
the brake pipes

------=_NextPart_000_002E_01D6237F.A7043D60
        charset="utf-8"

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3DUTF-8" http-equiv=3Dcontent-type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I'm not aware that blowing and sucking on any tube =
at the carb=20
will help in diagnosing the brakes.&nbsp; If you mean the servo hose =
that should=20
come from the inlet manifold but still be no help.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Stomping on the pedal should not put air into the =
system, if=20
it does then there is a fault somewhere that needs to be =
found.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Is this single-circuit or dual-circuit brakes?&nbsp; =
The=20
former should have a 'slow-return' valve in the master =
outlet</FONT>&nbsp;<FONT=20
size=3D2>and with that if a couple of quick pumps on the pedal makes the =
pedal=20
shorter and harder, but then it goes long and spongy again if released =
for a few=20
seconds, that does indicate air in the system.&nbsp; Dual circuit=20
varied.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Unless the fluid level in the master&nbsp;dropped =
right down=20
to outlet level, or you have opened the plumbing anywhere, you should =
not get=20
air in the system by being parked up.&nbsp; A leak will of course lower =
the=20
level, could possibly allow air in I suppose, but doubtful in my =
mind.&nbsp;=20
I've found that fluid dropping on a concrete floor 'evaporates' over =
time.&nbsp;=20
Check the carpets under the pedal as that is another place where fluid =
goes if=20
the master secondary seal fails.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Bleeding method varies according to system type i.e. =
single or=20
dual.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>PaulH.</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- =
</DIV><FONT=20
  size=3D-1><FONT face=3DArial><BR>I have a power assist brake system =
which after=20
  bringing out of winter cover my MGB GT V8 exhibited brake =
failure&nbsp; No=20
  brake fluid on the floor but it did need topping up.&nbsp;&nbsp; So =
added Dot=20
  4 but still soft squashy pedal.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
Blowing/sucking&nbsp; on=20
  tube to Edelbrock carb (I have a Rover V8 dropped in) it sucked but =
would not=20
  blow (I understand this is correct}.&nbsp; So we figured that the =
brakes need=20
  bleeding - is this a correct diagnosis?&nbsp; Any tips for a non-brake =
but=20
  fairly well versed owner.&nbsp;&nbsp; If I stomped a lot on the pedal =
when=20
  engine running would that put air into the brake=20
pipes<BR></FONT></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>