Re: [Mgs] Ride height

To: Robert's New iPad <mgbobh@gmail.com>, PaulHunt73 <paulhunt73@virginmedia.com>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Ride height
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@mgaguru.com>
Date: Mon, 03 May 2021 12:07:53 -0400
Cc: h.duinhoven@planet.nl, mgs@autox.team.net

--=====================_336446437==.ALT

Lowering blocks raise the rear axle in relation=20
to the springs, but do not change the spring=20
height in relation to the body or chassis=20
frame.  You can correct the ride height that way,=20
but it will not correct the gross misalignment=20
for the rebound straps (which are attached to the lower spring mounting=
 plate).

If the rebould straps are close to taught when at=20
rest, they you will be royally screwed on=20
handling when driving.  It will pick a rear tire=20
completely off the ground in a fast turn, causing=20
severe oversteer (very dangerous condition).  And=20
if you install longer rebound straps, you will=20
get damage to the lever arm shocks from overtravel.

At 11:43 AM 5/3/2021, Robert's New iPad wrote:
>     I was pleased with the results after the=20
> spring company suggested I remove a couple of=20
> leaves from the new rear springs.    The owner=20
> of the shop knew the original height of front=20
> springs, as measured by the horizontal trim=20
> strip, and my front was low too, though it was not down as much as the=
 rear.
>    Two spring companies I have talked with=20
> about this told me that they do not work with=20
> automobile springs any more, and that=20
> after-market spring quality is quite=20
> variable.  Spring shops around here work with commercial vehicles.
>    One can make small lowering blocks, 1/2=E2=80=9D=20
> thick, from the poly-plastic cutting boards=20
> sold in kitchen sundry department at Wal-Mart.
>Bob

>On May 3, 2021, at 11:24 AM, PaulHunt73=20
>
>>The high rear end after spring replacement is=20
>>common and is part of the 'too hard' thing=20
>>needing extra weight in the boot to get the rebound straps fastened.
>>
>>Personally I wouldn't jack up the front to=20
>>match the rear, people spend inordinate amounts=20
>>of time and money trying to lower MGBs!  What=20
>>you could try is lowering 'blocks' between the=20
>>axle and the springs, as used with parabolic=20
>>springs, but may need longer U-bolts.
>>
>>Even with new OEM rears my CB roadster was too=20
>>low when fully laden, bottoming and grounding=20
>>in country lanes, I ended up extending the rear shackles.
>>
>>PaulH.

--=====================_336446437==.ALT

springs, but do not change the spring height in relation to the body or
chassis frame.&nbsp; You can correct the ride height that way, but it
will not correct the gross misalignment for the rebound straps (which are
attached to the lower spring mounting plate).<br><br>
If the rebould straps are close to taught when at rest, they you will be
royally screwed on handling when driving.&nbsp; It will pick a rear tire
completely off the ground in a fast turn, causing severe oversteer (very
dangerous condition).&nbsp; And if you install longer rebound straps, you
will get damage to the lever arm shocks from overtravel.<br><br>
At 11:43 AM 5/3/2021, Robert's New iPad wrote:<br>
sed
with the results after the spring company suggested I remove a couple of
leaves from the new rear springs.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The owner of the shop
knew the original height of front springs, as measured by the horizontal
trim strip, and my front was low too, though it was not down as much as
the rear.&nbsp; <br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Two spring companies I have talked with about this told me
that they do not work with automobile springs any more, and that
after-market spring quality is quite variable.&nbsp; Spring shops around
here work with commercial vehicles. <br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; One can make small lowering blocks, 1/2=E2=80=9D thick, from th=
poly-plastic cutting boards sold in kitchen sundry department at
Wal-Mart.&nbsp; <br>
 2021, at
11:24 AM, PaulHunt73
&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:paulhunt73@virginmedia.com";>
rear end after spring replacement is common and is part of the 'too hard'
thing needing extra weight in the boot to get the rebound straps
fastened.<br>
rear, people spend inordinate amounts of time and money trying to lower
MGBs!&nbsp; What you could try is lowering 'blocks' between the axle and
the springs, as used with parabolic springs, but may need longer
U-bolts.<br>
when fully laden, bottoming and grounding in country lanes, I ended up
extending the rear shackles.<br>
<dl>

<dd>3 years ago I got an MOT safety test fail on the sagged rear springs,
so these were replaced.<br><br>

<dd>From that moment on the car looks a bit like a dragster with the rear
higher than the front.<br>

<dd>So I should look for replacement front coils.<br>
....</font>

--===============6889224691566889111==