3-wheeler inquiry -Reply

To: morgans@autox.team.net, oldhaven@mail.biddeford.com
Subject: 3-wheeler inquiry -Reply
From: David Crandall <davidc@netwrk.org>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 1996 17:14:06 -0500
Re: Ron Franklin's quest for a 3-wheeler kit.  I'm not up on the various
trike models but there was a replica 3-wheeler at last year's British
Invasion in Stowe, VT.  In talking to the guy, whose name I can't dredge
up but might be able to track down if you'd like, he said the guy he got his
from stopped making them after creating six of them because he was
losing his shirt.  It was a beauty, but might not have been an Aero.  I think
you'd be surprised what you could get a trike for (one that needed
restoration of course).  I know Don White in the DC club has had one
sitting in Penny Bate's shop in PA for years, not having any money to put
to a restoration.  Bet he could be tempted, as could others who might be
sniffed out through the 3-wheeler club here and abroad.  Alec Knight of
our NE club is a serious trikester of long-standing, for instance.  Larry
Ayers of the No California club just re-bought a racing trike known as
"Red Johnny" while in England this past summer and I don't think the cost
was terrifying.  I'm sort of with John Blair on checking the assumptions
and tradeoffs of a kit vs the real thing.  At the end of the day, a replicar
just ain't the real thing!  (Note that I know nothing about trikes and all my
reference books that would give me a quick lesson are at home and I'm
at work, so a grain of salt is warranted when reading this.)  Good luck
and let me know if there's any contact info I can give you.

David Crandall

63 DHC, 66 4/4