rear axle rebuild

To: Steve_Manwell@WE-KNOW-ENERGY.XENERGY.COM
Subject: rear axle rebuild
From: "Blair, John" <JBLAIR@hermes.massolant.navy.mil>
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 1996 07:30:56 -0500
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 96 16:36:58 EST
From: "Steve Manwell" <Steve_Manwell@WE-KNOW-ENERGY.XENERGY.COM>
To: morgans@autox.team.net

Steve writes on 27 Feb 96 16:36:58 EST:

     Dear Morganeers,

>      I have been using a copy of Tim Cree's article (on parts
>      interchangeability) from an old Miscellany.

I've compiled a 12 page parts crossreference list that was published
in MCCDC's Rough Rider and several other newsletters.  However, I
don't have much information on the pre '60 brakes or any info on the
rear ends (axles).  I would appreciate a copy of that article.
Yesterday I sent you some e-mail asking for a copy of the articles.
If you could get me a clean xerox and mail it, I'd gladly reimburse
you for the reproduction costs and mailing.

>     Does anyone have a Jaguar MkII 2.4 workshop manual or a copy of
>     the section on rebuilding the rear axle?  The Cree article
lists
>     this as the most "common" car using a 3HA axle.

Last night I looked up the rear end rebuilds in both:

   1. The Morgan Autobook one; by R. Clarke, Pub: Autopress LTD
Brighton,
      England.  1st edition printed in '68.

   2. The Morgan Four Wheeler Workshop manual.  No pub or date.  It
appears
      that this might be by the Factory.

   3. Ford Cortina 1967-68; by  Philip H. Smith; Pub: Autopress LTD.
      Brighton, England.  printed in '72

All of these books leave a lot to be desired on the mechanics,
however,
they give some info on clearences.

The best write up I could find, was in my TR2/3 Service Instruction
Manual;
issued by Triumph Sales Ltd. Coventry, England  (no date - Third
edition
Sixth printing).  This is a 17 page description of tearing down a
rear end.
They don't say what type of rear end it is, it is similar to the one
on the
Morgans.  I'd be glad to xerox a copy and send it to you.

>    I don't know if I'll tackle the differential rebuild myself, but
>    I would at least like to learn about the process.
>    I have also rebuilt the Moss gearbox for the same car and can
>    offer info and advice on this process.

Why don't you write up the info and send it to some of the clubs for
publication in their newsletters?  Also if you tackled a
transmission,
I don't thing you'd have much problem with a rear end.  Rear ends are
much less complicated that a transmission.

John

'47 TR1800            '48 #4 Midget             '65 Morgan 4/4 Series
           '75 Bricklin              '77 Spitfire

John

 John T. Blair  (WA4OHZ)  - jblair@massolant.navy.mil
 NAVMASSO Code 331        - Phone (804) 523-8133 (Comm)
 1441 Crossways Blvd.                   565-8133 (DSN)
 Chesapeake, VA. 23320-2843